Gil Evans - Where Flamingos Fly album
Title: Where Flamingos Fly
Style: Big Band
Date of release: 1981
Size MP3: 1662 mb
Size FLAC: 1462 mb
Format: VOC ADX RA FLAC MP1 AC3 MP2
This transitional LP (which has been long out-of-print) features arranger Gil Evans shortly after he decided to put together a permanent big band. Although the music didn't come out until a decade later, it is actually quite worthwhile. The key soloists are tenor saxophonist Billy Harper and Howard Johnson, mostly on baritone, but the emphasis is on Evans's writing, unlike his later live recordings.
Watch the video for Where Flamingos Fly from Gil Evans's Priceless Jazz Collection for free, and see the artwork, lyrics and similar artists. Ian Ernest Gilmore "Gil" Evans (né Green) (May 13, 1912 – March 20, 1988) was a jazz pianist, arranger, composer and bandleader (The Gil Evans Orchestra), active in the United States. He played an important role in the development of cool jazz, modal jazz, free jazz and jazz fusion, and collaborated extensively with Miles Davis Gil Evans was born in Toronto, Canada, as Ian Ernest Gilmore Green and early took the family name Evans from his stepfather. The family soon moved to California, where he spent the first decades of his life.
Where Flamingos Fly is a progressive big band music album recording by GIL EVANS released in 1981 on CD, LP/Vinyl and/or cassette. A1 Zee Zee 10:58 A2 Naña 4:42 A3 Love Your Love 2:13 A4 Hotel Me 5:32 B1 Where Flamingos Fly 5:12 B2 El Matador 17:30.
Blues in Orbit is an album by jazz composer, arranger, conductor and pianist Gil Evans, recorded in 1969 and 1971 by Evans with an orchestra featuring Jimmy Cleveland, Howard Johnson, Billy Harper, and Joe Beck. The album was originally released on the short-lived Ampex label as Gil Evans but received wider release on the Enja label under this title.
Sheet Music: 1 Sheets. Without You – Tom Evans Interplay – Bill Evans Very Early – Bill Evans Time Remembered – Bill Evans.
Where Flamingos Fly. This song is by Gil Evans. Go for a rideIn the still of the nightAnd morning brings forthAll this wonderful delightCouldn't have made it more plainWhen I heard that soft refrainAnd I heard you gently sigh.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Written-By – Gil Evans
Written-By – Moacir Santos, Mario Telles*, Yanna Coti
|A3||Love Your Love
Written-By – Billy Harper
Written-By – Gil Evans, Miles Davis
|B1||Where Flamingos Fly
Written-By – Elthea Peale, Harold Courlander, John Benson Brooks
Written-By – Kenny Dorham
- Acoustic Bass – Richard Davis (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Art Direction – Chuck Beeson
- Baritone Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Trevor Koehler (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Baritone Saxophone, Tuba – Howard Johnson (tracks: A1, B2)
- Chimes – Billy Harper (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Design – Philip Shima*
- Drums – Bruce Ditmas (tracks: A2 to B1), Lenny White (tracks: A1, B2)
- Electric Bass – Bill Quinze (tracks: A2 to B1), Herb Bushler (tracks: A1, B2)
- Electric Piano, Piano [Tack] – Gil Evans (tracks: A1, B2)
- Flugelhorn – Howard Johnson (tracks: B2)
- Guitar – Bruce Johnson (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Guitar, Mandolin – Joe Beck (tracks: A1, B2)
- Mastered By [Digitally] – Rudy Van Gelder
- Mixed By – Gil Evans
- Mixed By, Mastered By [Digitally] – John Snyder
- Percussion, Marimba – Sue Evans (tracks: A1, A2, B2)
- Photography By – Carol Friedman
- Piano, Electric Piano – Gil Evans (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Producer – John Simon
- Synthesizer – Don Preston, Phil Davis (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Tenor Saxophone – Billy Harper
- Trombone – Hannibal Peterson*, Jimmy Knepper (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Trumpet – John Coles* (tracks: A2 to B1), Stan Shafran (tracks: A2 to B1)
- Violin [Tenor] – Harry Lookofsky (tracks: A1, B2)
- Vocals, Percussion – Airto Moreira (tracks: A1, A2, B2), Flora Purim (tracks: A1, A2, B2)
NotesRecorded in New York City, 1971.
Mixed at Blank Tapes Recording Studio, New York City, 1981.
|CDS 0831||Gil Evans||Where Flamingos Fly (Cass, Album)||A&M Records||CDS 0831||US||1989|
|390 831-2||Gil Evans||Where Flamingos Fly (CD, Album, RE, RM)||A&M Records||390 831-2||Europe||Unknown|
|K26P-6127||Gil Evans||Where Flamingos Fly (LP, Album)||Artists House||K26P-6127||Japan||1981|
|CD 0831||Gil Evans||Where Flamingos Fly (CD, Album, RE)||A&M Records||CD 0831||US||1989|
|390 831-2||Gil Evans||Where Flamingos Fly (CD, Album, RE, RM)||A&M Records||390 831-2||Europe||1989|